There are a lot of benefits to running. Setting goals and increasing running ability is exciting; however, it can also be disappointing if an injury strikes. Unfortunately, running injuries are not rare, which is not that surprising when you consider that each step causes a runner to absorb a force three to four times his/her own body weight! The most common running injuries are plantar fasciitis, runner’s knee, shin splints, and IT band syndrome. While many of these injuries are common, they are also preventable. To avoid injury and to remain healthy in your running routine:
- Avoid adding too much, too fast. Most running injuries occur because runners attempt too much too quickly, whether it is an increase in speed or mileage. Set attainable goals and include rest days to help the body recover.
- Stretch regularly after runs to increase flexibility and range of motion. Stretching can also help reduce soreness.
- Choose a pair of running shoes that is designed to work with your body’s mechanics. Each body has variables that affect stride, such as over- or under-pronation; choosing the right pair of running shoes for your particular stride will help you feel better and help your body better balance and absorb the stress from running. Visit a specialty running store where the associates can evaluate the wear on a current pair of running shoes and observe your stride on a treadmill to help you choose the most appropriate running shoes for your stride.
- Visit a chiropractor regularly. While our bodies can handle the shock of running when perfectly aligned, most of us do not experience good alignment due to the sedentary nature of our jobs and poor posture. In addition, other physiological conditions, such as flat feet, can cause an imbalance of stress in the body. With misalignment, over time, the shock of running can lead to pain and injury. As a chiropractor, Dr. Moldan can evaluate your posture, address misalignments that may lead to injury, and teach techniques and exercises to prevent injury.
- Try massage to help improve recovery and boost running performance. Massage loosens tight muscles and helps maintain flexibility, which is important in preventing injury.
Are you already feeling pain or that something is “off” when you run? Chiropractic care can also help with the therapy for common running injuries. Dr. Moldan can evaluate any misalignments that are contributing to the underlying conditions. Initially, the focus will be on relieving the pain and preventing further injury. Next, Dr. Moldan will concentrate on correcting the issue, which may include prescribing exercises and therapies to build the affected areas of the body and train the body in proper functioning. Finally, regular visits and necessary alignments will help prevent new injuries and keep you on track with your goals.
Most running injuries are preventable. Include regular chiropractic care into your running routine to help ensure a strong running career.
At RiverRidge Chiropractic in Mankato, MN we are happy to answer any questions that you have. Contact our office today! 507-387-7463. We look forward to being a part of your health care team.